The Institute for Advanced Analytics at North Carolina State University has been preparing a new generation of data savvy professionals for leadership in a digital world since 2007. Our core focus is to give individuals the skills needed to tackle the challenges of deriving insights from a vast quantity and variety of data.
Analytics covers a broad spectrum, including data management, mathematical and statistical methods for data modeling, and techniques for data visualization in support of enterprise-wide decision making. Driving analytics is the unprecedented amount of data now available to organizations. There is a pressing need for professionals with strong quantitative skills coupled with an understanding of how analytics can be applied with speed and accuracy to the critical decisions facing organizations.
The Institute is housed in modern facilities located on the university’s picturesque 1,200-acre campus, and is a focal point for interdisciplinary collaboration among a large number of faculty. The Institute’s flagship program is the nation’s first and preeminent Master of Science in Analytics (MSA) degree. The MSA is an intensive, full-time, 10-month learning experience with an innovative curriculum developed exclusively for students in the program. The MSA has quickly become NC State’s leading master’s degree measured in terms of student outcomes and its graduates are among the university’s most sought-after and highly paid. Benchmark studies place the MSA degree in the ranks of comparable master’s programs at the nation’s top universities.
The Institute enrolls 80 students each year. Among one-hundred fields of graduate study at NC State, the MSA ranks among the top-10 largest degree programs in terms of the number of master’s degrees awarded annually. By the same measure, the Institute is among the 10 largest of sixty degree granting departments at the university.
As with all accredited graduate degrees at NC State, the MSA is granted under the auspices of The Graduate School. With an enrollment of more than 30,000 students, NC State is the largest university in North Carolina and one of 16 institutions constituting the multi-campus University of North Carolina system.
NC State is also a member of the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges, the American Council on Education, the College Entrance Examination Board, the Council of Graduate Schools, the National Commission on Accrediting, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
The Institute gratefully acknowledges the generosity of SAS, which provided a gift to the university to support curriculum development by our faculty. The Institute works closely with SAS and many employers across the country to enhance the MSA curriculum and maintain its practical relevancy.
Interested individuals of exceptional talent and motivation are invited to apply for admission.
Employers seeking to hire Analytics professionals are welcome to contact us. We will be glad to work with you.
The Institute is led by its founding director and distinguished university professor, Dr. Michael Rappa.
- 06/20/2005 — Dr. Rappa proposes the Institute for Advanced Analytics.
- 04/05/2006 — Dr. Rappa proposes the Master of Science in Analytics.
- 06/01/2006 — NC State launches Analytics initiative directed by Dr. Rappa.
- 07/12/2006 — SAS provides gift to support analytics curriculum development.
- 02/09/2007 — UNC Board of Governors authorizes MSA degree.
- 04/20/2007 — NC State Board of Trustees establishes the Institute.
- 07/09/2007 — 24 students enroll in the inaugural MSA Class of 2008.
- 05/10/2008 — First cohort of MSA candidates graduate.
- 11/01/2008 — Institute opens current facility with capacity for 40 students.
- 04/15/2010 — MSA curriculum granted permanent status.
- 10/19/2010 — National affiliation as a Professional Science Master’s.
- 02/14/2011 — Proposal made to double MSA enrollment capacity.
- 09/16/2011 — Institute’s expansion approved by Board of Trustees.
- 04/01/2012 — Construction begins on new facility.
- 06/27/2012 — Director welcomes 84 students in the MSA Class of 2013.
- 07/01/2012 — MSA becomes model for other universities.
- 08/15/2012 — Institute opens new expansion space.
- 12/07/2012 — Institute welcomes new staff members.
- 04/02/2013 — MSA job placement tops 90% for 6th consecutive year.
Links to more information about: