Welcome to the Institute for Advanced Analytics, home of the nation’s first Master of Science in Analytics (MSA). Our mission: to produce the world’s finest analytics professionals. Since 2007, we have provided hundreds of students with the knowledge and skills needed to apply complex methods and tools for large-scale data modeling.
If you have a mind for mathematics and statistical programming, and a passion for working with data to solve challenging problems, this is your program. The MSA is uniquely designed to equip individuals like yourself for the task of deriving and effectively communicating actionable insights from a vast quantity and wide variety of data—in 10 months.
Individuals with analytics skills are in short supply. Employer demand for analytics talent is projected to intensify in coming years as the amount of data continues to grow. The Institute has a proven 8-year track record for placing its MSA graduates in the analytics profession. Our graduates are highly sought-after and well-paid.
The Harvard Business Review recently identified the Institute among the best, as one of only a few sources of talent with proven strengths in data science alongside Stanford, MIT, Berkeley, Harvard, and Carnegie Mellon. In addition to being the nation’s first and preeminent analytics degree, the MSA is an innovative learning experience that differs from conventional programs in several ways. As you weigh the right education to meet your needs, please consider the following:
- The MSA is a single integrated course of study taught exclusively to our students and designed to produce a well-rounded analytics professional.
- The curriculum is a carefully calibrated and continually updated mix of applied mathematics, statistics, computer science, and business disciplines.
- The MSA is a cohort-based learning experience structured around teamwork, with personalized coaching to improve team performance.
- MSA students learn by tackling genuine analytics problems with data provided by industry and government sponsors, and using leading tools such as SAS.
- The MSA has a practical orientation. It does not dwell on theory and is not intended to be a prelude to doctoral study.
- The MSA is officially designated as a STEM degree.
- The time-to-completion is 10 months.
- The MSA has achieved over 90-percent job placement by graduation each year since its inception in 2007—and 95-100% placement by graduation the past 3 years;
- MSA graduates earn competitive starting salaries averaging over $90,000.
- The average ROI payback period is less than 24 months.
- Our graduates are employed in positions as analysts, data scientists, consultants, as well as managerial and executive level positions.
- Employers range from new ventures to multinationals, across all sectors of the economy.
- MSA students obtain valuable professional certifications while studying.
- Benchmarks of student outcomes place the MSA on a level with comparable programs at the nation’s most prestigious universities.
- The Institute has the largest alumni pool of analytics-educated professionals of any university in the country.
- The Institute’s dedicated staff focus entirely on student success.
- MSA students occupy a modern facility used exclusively for the program.
- Located on a beautiful 1200-acre Centennial Campus, the Institute is just steps away from the spectacular Hunt Library, new campus housing, and golf course.
- The MSA garners consistently high satisfaction ratings among students and alumni.
- Admission is highly selective, with an acceptance rate of 1-in-8 applicants.
- Students have come from 42 countries of origin; currently 85-percent are U.S. citizens or permanent residents, and about half have three or more years of professional experience [Student Infographic].
- MSA tuition is significantly less than comparable degrees, such as the MBA.
- Raleigh consistently ranks among the top U.S. cities to live, work and study.
The Institute welcomes applications from highly motivated individuals of exceptional talent who look to succeed as analytics professionals.
The following presentation by the Institute’s founding director, Dr. Michael Rappa, offers an in-depth look at the MSA degree.
Below is a recent interview with Dr. Rappa: